Thursday, February 8, 2007

New twist on Googling yourself...

Okay, we admit it. We've all "Googled" ourselves.

Many of us have typed our names into multiple search engines to discover just what personal asteroids are orbiting in cyberspace. It usually yields a surprise -- like the photo I found of my lecture in Taichung, Taiwan, on enviro-business journalism.

Today, while researching a fellow journalist who's going to be a guest speaker in my business journalism class, I typed his name into Scholar.Google. Up popped pages of scholarly work where the academic author had cited news stories that he had written. This journalist, a magazine author, was cited in dozens of journals and conference papers, on topics ranging from Artificial Intelligence to Economic Reform.

So I Scholar-Googled myself and found where I'd been thanked or cited in some books, as well. Some I knew about, others were a big surprise.

So, fellow journalists, if you want to see when and where your journalistic work has been cited, just call up www.scholar.google.com and search away.

--Marty Steffens

No comments: